EGF is an acidic, 6,200 Dalton peptide (53 amino acids) with 6 conserved cysteine motifs that form three intramolecular disulfide bonds. EGF is one of the most stable proteins, with great tolerance to acid, alkali, heat and enzymolysis of trypsin, chymotrypsin and pepsin. It exerts actions in surgical treatment, skin ulcer, peptic ulcer, corneal injury and tissue repair through EGF receptors.EGF automatically combines with EGFR on cell membrane near the wound, activates protein kinase, accelerates the synthesis of DNA, RNA and protein, promotes and regulates growth and appreciation of epidermal cells, then repairs the skin tissue and heals wound quickly. EGF is added into cosmetics to remove blotches and acne. It also has a protective effect for normal skin by antiaging, and increasing skin elasticity and luster.
RhEGF is manufactured by the extracellular secretion and is structurally homologous to human nature EGF and has the complete biological activity.
EGF is a highly efficient cell division factor with many other biological effects, which mainly includes:
1. stimulating the growth and proliferation of skin, cornea and tracheal epithelium tissue in vivo.
2. Accelerating the healing process of epidermis damage on skin, cornea, etc.
3. Repressing the gastric acid excretion.
4. Accelerating the proliferation of epithelial cells in human and animals.
5. Facilitating the biosynthesis of protein, RNA, DNA as well as metabolic activity in epidermal cells.